Simple Pasta Sauce is a something I came up with when I had planned a nice spaghetti dinner, but soon realized that I had used up my supply of homemade Weekend Tomato Sauce, and had no store bought sauce in my pantry. Dinner was at risk, I had no backup plan and had to come up with a solution quick. I looked in the pantry, and much to my joy, I realized I could whip up a yummy sauce that wouldn’t take hours to prepare and cook.
I like tomato Pasta Sauce with a bit of spice, so I add in a bit of crushed red pepper. Be sure to taste your sauce before added in more spices. I estimated how much I used, basically I would add some in, taste it and adjust if needed.
Recipe: Simple Pasta Sauce
Summary: A quick tomato sauce for nights when time is short. No one will know it only took you about a half hour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Heat for a 3 minutes or until veggies are softened. Add in the remaining ingredients. Add enough water to get the sauce to your desired thickness. When adding in the seasonings, start with a lesser amount and then continue to add to taste.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes. If you wish, add meatballs, sausage, or try my spinach balls!
I let the sauce simmer while the pasta is boiling. That’s about all the time it really needs. I like my sauce with a little spice, so I add in a nice amount of crushed red pepper, but add as little or as much as you like.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 6
Copyright © The Hungry Wife.