So, tonights dinner did not live up to expectations. Its not that it was awful, we had a perfectly enjoyable dinner, it just wasn’t delicious and special enough to be posted on the blog. Luckily, The Hungry Wife has a surplus of recipes that do deserve to be posted. This Spaghetti Squash with Chunky Tomato and Beef Sauce recipe is one that tastes great and is good for you. The antioxidant lycopene is the disease-fighting agent in this tomato-rich dish. Cooking the tomatoes helps release the lycopene so the benefit to your body is maximized.
I love cooking up spaghetti squash, and eating it with some delicious spaghetti sauce. This recipe can easily be made vegetarian by simply omitting the ground beef.
Recipe: Spaghetti Squash with Sauce
Summary: This Spaghetti Squash recipe is one that tastes great and is good for you. Simple to make and is a great alternative to pasta, and the sauce is pretty awesome too!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14 ½ -ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook Spaghetti squash:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Using 2 forks, shred and separate the squash pulp into strands.
- In a large saucepan cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain off fat. Add undrained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Bring sauce to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve sauce over squash, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Fat: 9 g
Protein: 17 g
Copyright © The Hungry Wife.