Making pizza at home is a great family activity, kids love to help out with stretching the dough and arranging the toppings. Sicilian Style Pizza is a simple recipe with minimal toppings, but, by using your homemade Weekend Tomato Sauce this pizza packs a ton to flavor. You can always add on a couple of your favorite toppings, some pepperoni or olives. To make a traditional Sicilian Pizza, add some anchovy.
What makes a Sicilian Style Pizza is that they are square, with more dough, less sauce, and cheese. The authentic recipe calls for Pecorino Romano cheese and bits of anchovy. Dough should be very think, some can be found to be over an inch, and is similar to Focaccia bread. A very important step in making Sicilian Style Pizza is making time for the pizza to rise. This really helps you achieve a thick crust, that is needed to make this different from the more familiar Neapolitan pizzas.
Recipe: Sicilian Pizza
Summary: What makes a Sicilian Style Pizza is that they are square, with more dough, less sauce, and cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ball (28 ounces) pizza dough
- 1 cup Weekend Tomato Sauce (see related recipe)
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, more or less to your liking
- You’ll need a 13 x 18-inch baking sheet pan, and plastic wrap.
- 1 ½ to 2 hours ahead of baking time, spread baking sheet with olive oil. Place dough on oiled pan, turning to coat all sides. Form rectangle by pressing/stretching dough slightly. Dough does not need to fill pan. Cover with plastic wrap; let rest at room temperature 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees 10 minutes. While oven preheats, form dough to fit pan, stretching from center to sides and corners. Let rest 5 minutes; stretch again, if necessary, to fill pan. Press out any air bubbles between dough and pan.
- Spread sauce over dough almost to edges; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15-18 minutes until top is browned and bottom of crust is lightly browned.
You can always add on a couple of your favorite toppings, some pepperoni or olives. To make a traditional Sicilian Pizza, add some anchovy.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Copyright © The Hungry Wife.